This chapter examines the first of four phases every cloud implementation should have, beginning with the Launch phase and opening with an explanation of on-boarding methodology. While not a rehash of project management methodology, it provides best practice recommendations for selecting a project team, finding a partner, establishing project governance, creating project plans, reviewing and defining scope and transition, defining priorities, and refining roles and responsibilities.
John Palmer is managing editor for insiderBOOKS. He can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you’re already a company that uses SAP ERP HCM systems to support your business processes such as payroll, good for you! But you should know that you can make the experience even better by integrating SuccessFactors Employee Central.
Since different countries have different payroll requirements and need different sets of data to be copied from SuccessFactors Employee Central to the SAP ERP HCM system, companies can configure their SAP systems based on country-specific requirements. The entire integration process requires careful analysis and planning up front, but can ultimately help you run your processes much more efficiently.
Industry expert Priynk Gautam has been working with SAP ERP HCM for years, specializing in the SAP ERP HCM Personnel Administration and Organizational Management modules, as well as SuccessFactors Employee Central. Here, he gives several ways you can use the system to help improve your human resources processes.
- Filter business processes by country - Different countries have different requirements for running payroll. For example, each country may require a different set of data (e.g., infotypes) that need to be copied to successfully meet the payroll requirement. You can use SuccessFactors Employee Central to replicate only certain infotypes for a given country, or you can integrate multiple countries.
- Create Custom Fields - Since custom fields are not supported through a standard connector, extensibility allows you to define customer-specific fields in Employee Central and replicate them to the SAP system.
- Map Employee Central Foundation Objects and Employee Attributes - You can use Employee Central to automatically copy certain to the existing SAP ERP HCM organizational structure, company structure, and personnel structure codes. This is needed if the naming conventions, format, and codes are different for Employee Central and SAP ERP HCM. Whenever there is any change in the employee’s information, it will be copied to the SAP ERP HCM system automatically.
- Replicate a Position from Employee Central to SAP ERP HCM - Every new hire in Employee Central is assigned a unique position ID. Whenever there is a new hire in Employee Central, the employee and position are copied over to the SAP ERP HCM system.
- Break down payroll events into more specific events – Employee Central allows you to break down a particular payroll event into more specific events. A Payroll Event in Employee Central lets you break down a particular event into more specific events. Payroll Event is assigned to Event Reasons in Employee Central and then mapped to an Action in the SAP ERP HCM system. For instance, in the SAP ERP HCM system you have two separate actions to distinguish between Termination and Retirement. However, in Employee Central, you only have one event—Termination—so you would use different Event Reasons to distinguish between terminations and retirements.
Want more information like this? Be sure to check out Gautam’s book, SuccessFactors and SAP ERP HCM: Technical Tips and Integration Advice, available for download from insiderBOOKS.